Thursday, July 10, 2014

Ideas for a Modular Hand Part 1

As we go along here I (Alex) plan on posting cool ideas that I have thought up and/or found online about making these hands modular...

Ben Heck demonstrates how he used a 3D printer to make a cool servo controlled finger mounted soldering station. I found this link while looking around the e-NABLE community so it's not just me who thinks this would be awesome! The first video shows the soldering iron and the second is about the solder dispenser. I think something like this (probably not quite as complicated!) would be a really cool addition to our hands.



While talking to John in the lab yesterday he also brought up the idea of mounting a writing device in the center of the hand as opposed to at the fingertip. Both he and I agreed that although this may not seem normal to those of us born with two hands, it will probably give the user more control over what they are trying to write. I haven't really put any thought into designing this but it is defiantly something worth thinking about.

Well that's all for today, look forward to even more cool ideas in the future!

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment