Monday, July 28, 2014

7/28/14 Finish of Arm Editing and Modular Hand

Today, I (Sam) believe I finally completed the editing of the RIT Arm.  Thank god.  I'll go over them with Alex to see what else needs to be done, but I think it's good for now.  I think we should start printing it in blue or teal to be able to tell the difference between our arm and the RIT Arm.  Then we can use that in our presentation.

The palm was finished today.  The fingers are splayed and staggered, which will be paired with variable grip to increase strength.  Work was done to the tubes inside the palm to make stringing easier and make movement lag less.  A bar drawn in the knuckle joints to allow for a finger to close around it.  The file also allows for changing the bars into hole for pins.  Here's a picture of the progress.



While Sam was hard at work on the the RIT arm, I (Alex) continued work on the Modular Beast. Today I adapted the tensioner block connecting design I talked about yesterday to the gauntlet. I am still having a few problems getting the tolerance correct, but that should be a quick fix. Unfortunately, I printed the entire gauntlet before realizing that the tensioner rests were still set up for the old hex style tensioners. This is just a minor detail so it's not worth reprinting, but I will have to change that for tomorrow.

Yesterday's design adapted for the gauntlet.
Today, I also added slots to our mid gauntlet, which should allow for our new tensioner block to be easily attached and detached without restringing. This is a very minor detail but will be extremely important when assembling this hand.

A small detail but extremely important.
On another note, we began working on our UR@UWM poster today. John made a similar poster, which now hangs outside the DCRL, and he offered to share his files so we can match it as best we can. We have our layout set and now it's just a matter of sitting down and actually doing the poster.

That's all for today, overall it was a very productive one!

Alex + Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment