Thursday, July 24, 2014

7/24/14 New Game Plan, Another Modular Tensioner Design

Today Alex and I came up with new goals to have done by the time this program ends.  First, we should have a working model of the Modular Beast and at least one attachment for it.  For now, that is primarily Alex's job.  Our next goal is to have a printed model of our version of the RIT Derek Arm.  We plan on applying splayed fingers and variable grip to it to make it more effective.

I looked on e-NABLE for ideas about variable grip.  The two best options I found were made by David Orgeman and Steve Wood.
Steve Wood tensioner balancing design
 I decided not to do this one because the strings get bunched together and tangled inside the tubing.  I'm afraid this would cause more problems than it is worth.
Orgeman spring design
Instead I have decided to adapt the above Orgeman design. By adding springs to the existing tensioner variable grip is achieved in a very consistent and simple manner. This has the down side of requiring non-printed springs but we believe that the benefits outweigh the cost.

As with yesterday I (Alex) continued to try and find a way to make the modular tensioner work. As I feared, the pins had a tough time printing and when I printed with PLA instead of ABS plastic they had nowhere near the flexibility required. After talking to Frankie about this problem we decided to adopt a design inspired by the bearing belt guide from a RepRap 3D printer.

My new modular tensioner design
This friction fit design is very simple and easy to print while still remaining strong. A few modifications will need to be made to prevent the tensioner assembly from rotating but overall I really think this could be the final design.

That's all for today, we have a field trip with our other undergrad research students tomorrow so we won't have anything new to post. See you next week!

Alex + Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment