Tuesday, July 29, 2014

7/29/14 Printing Parts and Starting Poster

While we wait for new parts to print, Alex and I have done a bit of preparation for the final symposium. First, I did some work on the final designs for the RIT Arm.  As it turns out, my idea of cutting material cost on the forearm cuff was a huge waste of time. I thought it would be a good idea to save time and material by cutting holes in the cup.  Turns out, it takes more plastic to print the supports with holes than it did without the holes.  Talk about a waste of time.

The original forearm cup took about 5 hours to print and only used 69 grams of ABS.
The "material saving" version takes 77 grams and 2 extra hours.
 After putting the finishing touches on the RIT Arm redesign, I began work on the poster.  This included typing the intro for each of our projects.  We plan to have a section about the e-NABLE community and it's purpose, as well as sections for the work we did on the RIT Arm and Modular Beast.  We hope to show our progress and spread the word about e-NABLE at the same time.

While Sam was working on the poster I (Alex) began printing parts for the modular beast. I finally got the tolerance on the tensioner block to fit perfectly! I also squared off the tensioner pin holders on the gauntlet that I talked about yesterday. After doing this I added some extra support to the gauntlet so the tensioner block doesn't appear to be "floating". My modified modular gauntlet was printed today but it turned out to be too flimsy so I added some extra material. It doesn't look the greatest but that can always be changed later.

The new gauntlet with extra support for the tensioner block and square tensioner pin holders.
The new mid gauntlet, not great looking but hopefully functional.
That's all for today.

Alex + Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment